Established in 1897 as a Grain Merchant.
Cooper & Cooper, now a level 1 BBBEE contributor was first established in 1897. The company is made up of five divisions spread across South Africa that manufacture, supply and service products in mining construction, marine and original equipment manufacturing (OEM).
For More Than a Century
We started in 1897 as a Grain Merchant supplying the needs of an ever expanding mining community, to provide feed for the horse and carriage transport of the period.
Evolving into a Motor Body Shop with the advent of the motor car, we were one of Johannesburg’s first Panel Beaters in a young city.
The Cooper family saw the need to start the Engineering Supplies Division. This was launched with the agency for Carver Clamps which to this day, are still sold by the company.
The 70’s saw the business move gradually towards importing and trading with Mining, Lifting and Safety Equipment, having acquired the agency for the Nitchi range.
Other lifting related products followed, adding impetus to our growth and soon we held contracts providing quality products to a demanding Industrial sector.The 80’s saw the first branch open in Welkom, thereafter Trichart and Rustenburg followed.
We continued to build into the new millennium with continued growth in infrastructure and with the additional rollout of countrywide branches and a wider vision.
Level 1 BBEEE
Taken over by new shareholders Cooper and Cooper is now a Level 1 BBEEE (black woman owned) Company.